The MIPP Council
MEMBERS OF THE COUNCIL
The council shall consist of such members of the Institute holding such qualifications and to be elected or re-elected or nominated or re-nominated to such office and to hold such office for such period as is provided for in the Regulations of the Institute. Members of the Council shall not be paid or receive remuneration or fees by the Institute for acting as such and no member of the Council shall be appointed to any salaried office of the Institute. The members of the Council shall be resident in Malawi.
The Council shall consist of the following:
- The President
- The Vice president
- The Honorary Secretary
- The Honorary Treasurer
- Three Members
- One Student Member
- The immediate past president
ELECTION OF COUNCIL MEMBERS
The members of the Council shall be elected or, where appropriate nominated, annually in the manner hereinafter prescribed:
- The president shall be elected from among corporate members by secret ballot if more than one candidate is proposed. The president may be re-elected to the office of president provided that he shall not be re-elected for more than two consecutive terms. On cessation of the second term the president shall be eligible for re-election after a lapse of not less than one term. The president must have been a member of the Institute for at least two years or must have been a serving member of the Council for one year before seeking election to become president
- The election of the vice president, Honorary Secretary and Honorary Treasurer shall be by nomination either prior to an Annual General Meeting or (if nomination forms are not received then) at the Annual General Meeting itself. In the event of there being more than one nomination for each post, then the election shall take place by secret ballot and selected by the most popular count for each post.
- Of the three other members not more than two may be non-corporate members. The election shall be by nomination either prior to an Annual general meeting or (if nomination forms are not received) at the Annual General Meeting itself. In the event of there being more than three nominees, then the election shall take place by secret ballot and the three shall be selected by count.
- Student members, in their own right, shall prior to an Annual General Meeting submit not more than two names of their students to the Council. The Council shall select by secret ballot one of the student members with the highest count to be the student representative to the Council.
- Institutional members shall not take part in elections
POWERS OF THE COUNCIL
- The management and administration of the Institute shall vest in the Council, which may exercise all such powers and do all such things as may be exercised or don e by the Institute save those which are expressly directed or required to be exercised or done by the Institute at its Annual General Meeting.
- The Council shall have powers to co-opt members from the Institute to service on its sub-committees
- The Council shall receive, hold and administer all subscriptions, fees, donations, bequests or endowments of property of any description, which may be made to the Institute.
- The Council shall be entitled to enquire into, entertain complaints as to, and adjudicate upon the professional conduct of members, and shall have powers to discipline members, as it shall deem necessary so to do.
MEETINGS OF THE COUNCIL
- The Council shall meet at least once every six (6) months
- If a member of the Council fails to attend three (3) consecutive meetings of the Council, he shall automatically lose his Council membership
- In the event of (ii) the Council shall have the power to appoint or co-opt one member of the Institute into its membership as and when necessary.
MIPP Council Members
Mariana Kavula Banda
IMMEDIATE PAST PRESIDENT